At The Palace Hotel we recognise that our operations impact the environment and we are committed to continually improving our working practices.
We take this commitment seriously and have been awarded the Gold Award in the Green Tourism Business Scheme and were the North West’s winner for the Excellence in Sustainable Tourism award 2008/09 to reflect this.
The Palace Hotel Environmental Policy
At the Palace Hotel we recognise that our operations impact the environment and are committed to continually improving our working practises.
Management and colleagues training
The hotel’s green committee is dedicated to protect the environment and meets regularly to review practises and consider new ones. Environmental awareness training is given to all colleagues, each department has an energy 5 point promise and weekly meter readings are taken, monitored and actions implemented by the maintenance team.
Energy use is our largest contributor to our carbon footprint so we aim to reduce it. Steps we have taken include installing a new boiler system to increase gas and heating efficiency, low energy lighting fitted in 85% of the hotel, individual energy control points in all bedrooms, toilets, back of house and Business Centre meeting rooms. This has resulted in a saving of 2% per year on our electricity costs and 1% on gas.
We aim to reduce our waste use and increase our water efficiency. Measures we have taken include low flush toilets, training colleagues to maintain and report taps in the building, installing reduced shower flow heads in the bathrooms, replacing bottled water coolers with more water coolers / towers and limiting the use of harmful chemicals. This has resulted in a saving of 3% per year on water costs.
Landfill waste is minimised by reducing, reusing and recycling wherever possible. We have installed a cardboard baler, donate our toner and printer cartridges to charity, and we have up to 20 items per hotel room that are recyclable. By re-structuring our waste management contract we have reduced land-fill waste by 20,000 litres of waste a week.
Through our purchasing we are committed to supporting local farmers and producers including organic food and drink. We support Fair Trade products wherever possible.
We encourage colleagues to take public transport wherever possible and have actively promoted a Green Car Share Scheme. Customers are encouraged to use public transport to explore Manchester.
We have achieved the Silver Award in the Green Tourism Business Scheme and were the North West’s winner for the Excellence in Sustainable Tourism award 2008/09. Other sustainability awards won include:
•Manchester Sustainable Tourism Award 2008/2009
•Environmental Business Pledge gold award
•Finalist for the Enjoy England Sustainability Award 2009
•Northwest Business Environment Green Hero – 2009
The Palace Hotel’s Sustainability Pledge
The Palace Hotel pledges to:
• Comply with all relevant environmental legislation taking above and beyond environmental measures where they are identified
• Manage and conserve energy and water efficiently to minimise emissions and record all evidence
• Reduce waste by training and educating our colleague’s and guests on our Reduce, Recycle and Re-Use policy
• Promote awareness and understanding of environmental issues with our external supplier, partners and the local community
• Maintain The Palace Hotel’s Green credentials, awards and accreditation’s within the North West
• To improve the processes within the hotel to ensure we become recognised and are awarded a National Award status or ISO accreditation
• Use all available opportunities to influence our partners, suppliers and contractors to improve their environmental performance through education, training and awareness programmes
• Ensure that the hotel’s policies, procedures and achievements relating to best environmental practices are communicated to all colleagues and are made available to all hotel guests and delegates
• To operate in a socially and ethically responsible manor and continually strive to improve our sustainability performance
• To continue promoting the 4 principles of providing sustainable menus by using local, seasonal, and where available, Fair-trade products; by promoting healthy eating and culturally aware menus; by reducing bottled water using water fountains in their place and to continue excluding seafood species identified as most at risk from our menus
Responsible Visitor Charter
Be a responsible visitor by please following these 7 simple wasy to help us save the planet;
Conserve Energy – Remember to switch off lights and other appliances when they are not in use and keep in the heat by keeping windows and doors firmly shut.
Local is Best- Buying local produce not only reduces its carbon footprint it helps boost the local economy. Why not pop down to the local Manchester markets and try it for yourself – just don’t forget your bag for life.
Be Water Wise- Use water wisely. Always turn off the taps while you are brushing your teeth, have a shower instead of a bath and only change your towels and bedding when necessary.
Use Public Transport- Cut down on emissions with Manchester’s excellent public transport network which helps you jump on and off trams and buses anywhere in the city. Giving you quick and easy access to all the brilliant local Manchester attractions.
Reuse, Reduce and Recycle- Help us save on waste and dispose of your rubbish in our dedicated re-cycling area, located on the first floor by room 115
Nature Knows Best- There are many ways to help. Why not support our lobster campaign or check out our many bird and bat boxes dotted around the building? Or if you fancy getting out and about we can recommend the best local parklands and nature spots in the city, all you have to do is ask.
Support Green Tourism Business- For great hints and tips on further ways you can support the environment visit www.green-business.co.uk
Copyright © 2014 Principal Hayley Group. All rights reserved.